Companies with environmentally contaminated sites face significant regulatory, financial and reputational risks.
Whether it involves long-term monitoring, active remediation, or working towards closure, the cleanup and management of contaminated sites is complex and costly. Even organizations with well-established remediation management systems and processes frequently experience increased costs due to unanticipated issues. This can be challenging for a number of reasons, including changing or unclear regulations, technically complex chemicals, and dynamic groundwater conditions.
To safeguard compliance and asset value, organizations need to take a proactive approach to contaminated sites that enables them to safely eliminate, reduce or transfer associated liabilities while also communicating progress with relevant stakeholders.
Proven strategies and systems
ERM is a world leader in helping companies address their most challenging contaminated sites throughout the entire remediation lifecycle. We support our clients with a range of unique capabilities:
- A proven portfolio management approach that prioritizes and sequences a company’s remediation sites;
- In-depth knowledge of toxicology combined with global regulatory experience allowing us to develop and defend realistic, risk-based cleanup goals;
- Advanced remedial technologies, including thermal remediation, in situ stabilization, oxidation, and bio-remediation;
- Insight into emerging regulations and contaminants to help clients proactively manage current and potential future liabilities;
- Use of decision analytic tools, such as Net Environmental Benefits Analysis (NEBA), to evaluate the environmental costs of intensive remediation alternatives with less invasive and more cost-effective options;
- Advanced data management and analysis tools, including environmental visualization, EQuIS (Environmental Quality Information System), GIS data management, and analytic element groundwater modeling;
- Environmental liability management, including litigation support and expert testimony for Natural Resource Damage (NRD) claims; and
- Extensive benchmarking of key performance indicators, reserve processes, and portfolio reviews to help companies leverage the best practices and successful outcomes of their industry peers.
By working with ERM, organizations can assess and address potential liabilities, satisfy regulatory obligations, and optimize capital and operating expenditures to protect their bottom line.