ERM has a mature and comprehensive Safety Management System (SMS), which incorporates safety-related policies, roles and responsibilities, training, programs and initiatives and mechanisms to measure the effectiveness of our management approach. The SMS is based on the requirements of Occupational Health and Safety Assessment Specification (OHSAS) 18001 and International Organization for Standardization (ISO) 14001.
Key aspects of our SMS are highlighted below.
- Our global tools and systems support continuous improvement as we work on complex projects, often in challenging environments. Our global Health, Safety and Environment (HSE) Policy Statement, which is endorsed by our Group CEO and Executive Committee, applies worldwide and is conveyed to all employees through our induction programs and routine communications.
- ERM Partners and other leaders have personal safety goals included in their performance metrics, with progress against these goals assessed as part of the annual performance review process.
- During FY19, ERM completed nearly 3,115 individual office, project, field or subsurface clearance audits using our online tool, with nearly 1,950 of those audits completed by Partners. The audits are part of our Active Leadership Audit Program (ALAP), and they provide us with a tremendous amount of safety performance data that allows us to focus on specific areas for improvement.
- New hires are required to take safety training as well as anti-bribery, corruption and ethics training. Compliance with this requirements is shared with senior management. In FY19, over 93% of new hires completed their mandatory training on time in a record year for new hires. In FY20, we are focused on improving this rate.
- Travel is a key part of the work we do for our clients and an important part of running the business. We provide health and safety support for our employees traveling around the world. This is particularly important in more challenging locations, including those classified as high risk based on medical, integrity, political or security factors. We provide time-critical advice in response to travel and acute medical issues around the globe. Our online Travel Risk Assessments help ensure that employees and those we work with are well prepared for their journey, and that our Partners review and approve this travel.
- ERM’s Executive Committee members receive daily reports on key safety performance metrics as part of their management dashboards. Safety metrics appear alongside other key business indicators, such as sales, revenue and profits.