ERM has been providing support to clients in Canada for over 35 years. With almost 300 staff across the country, and offices in British Columbia, Yukon, Northwest Territories, Alberta, Saskatchewan, Ontario, and Québec, we are well positioned to quickly mobilize and support our clients across all of Canada.
ERM’s Canadian operations provide a full suite of services including environmental, social, safety, regulatory, sustainability, due diligence, country/political risk and climate change services. This allows us to provide end-to-end support to asset development, from project planning, siting, and feasibility, through to permitting, construction, operation, abandonment, closure, and legacy management. At the corporate level, we work with clients through our advisory services, corporate assurance, and provide exceptional insights for financing, transactions, strategy, and risk management.
We pride ourselves on our strong reputation in the market, built on industry-leading expertise and strategic insight. Our Canadian staff facilitate streamlined and efficient regulatory approvals, aligning field programs, permitting schedules, and Indigenous and stakeholder engagement programs. We also help our clients develop sustainability, climate change, and other strategies that are tuned to their level of risk and demands from investors, while being appropriate to each company’s unique context and ambition.
At ERM, we use our knowledge of best practices, emerging trends, and investor expectations to challenge the status quo and help future-proof our clients’ assets. Above all, we are innovative and committed to excellence – whether leveraging new technologies, developing enhanced digital solutions, or approaching engagement and collaboration in new ways.
ERM’s expertise in Canada has been bolstered by strategic acquisitions that are aligned with our commitment to delivering superior solutions, thought leadership, and boots-to-boardroom support for our valued clients.
- Geological and mining consultancy CSA Global joined ERM in 2019. With global expertise based in Australia, South Africa, and Canada, CSA Global brings the technical expertise of geologists, engineers, mining consultants and data specialists to support our mining business.
- In 2021, sustainability advisory firm Stratos joined ERM. Stratos is known for its expertise in offering guidance on renewable energy, mining, and contaminated sites projects, specifically in the northern regions of Canada. This team plays a vital role in bridging the gap between government, industry, Indigenous communities, and non-government organizations (NGOs). Their collaborative approach helps these stakeholders and rights holders develop innovative ideas, strategies, and tools necessary to tackle intricate, large-scale, and nonlinear problems.
Commitment to Reconciliation Hide
As a responsible corporate citizen, we are committed to implementing the Calls to Action identified by the Truth and Reconciliation Commission of Canada, including the call to the corporate sector (Call No. 92). Our journey has evolved over recent years and our Canadian staff are highly engaged in our efforts to improve our collective understanding, learn from our Indigenous partners, and support Indigenous businesses and other Indigenous organizations. Among ERM’s global operations, our Canadian business is widely recognized as a leader in this space.
- ERM Canada’s Reconciliation Strategy sets out our approach to engaging and collaborating with Indigenous Peoples in a comprehensive and respectful manner. Our strategy is based on best practices, and input from Indigenous partners, communities, and clients. We believe building positive and respectful relationships with Indigenous Peoples is key to sustainable natural resource development.
- Since 2022, ERM Canada has been working to obtain its Progressive Aboriginal Relations™ (PAR) certification through the Canadian Council for Aboriginal Business (CCAB) that confirms corporate performance in Indigenous relations.
- We take pride in being the partner of choice to Canadian Indigenous groups and organizations and have established mutually beneficial relationships with Inuit, Métis, and First Nations across Canada. Of note, we have a longstanding partnership with the Tahltan Nation in BC (Tahltan ERM Environmental Consultants or TEEM), a formal partnership with First Peoples Group, and are a long-time partner with Aglu Consulting and Training in Nunavut.
- In Canada, the ERM Foundation supports non-profit organizations and social enterprises through funding and in-kind professional support and has supported projects reflecting our staff’s commitment to reconciliation, including Indigenous-led ventures for safe drinking water, secure shelter and gathering spaces.