About this report
Our reporting approach
This is the fourth Sustainability Report that ERM has published. Our FY14 report, covering April 1, 2013 to March 31, 2014, was issued in September 2014. This 2015 report details our performance during FY15 (1 April 2014 through 31 March 2015) against KPIs and targets identified through our materiality assessment.
We declare this report to be in accordance with the GRI G4 Guidelines at a core level. The key elements of the G4 approach that we have focused on in this report, in keeping with the intent of the guidelines, are described below.
- Engagement with stakeholders: This report responds to feedback from our stakeholders.
- Sustainability context and value chain: We explain how we see the role of ERM in wider sustainability issues, the impact we have through our client work and the role that our experts play in professional associations, industry forums and other thought leadership activities.
- Materiality: We identify and describe the material issues that are important to our stakeholders and the business, and set out our associated performance and KPIs for the coming year.
Principles for defining reporting quality
The G4 Guidelines set out principles for defining reporting quality and we have taken a number of actions to meet these principles:
- We safeguard the quality of the information contained in this report through a robust assurance process leveraging external and internal expertise; and
- We continue to improve the availability of timely information to decision-makers.
Principles for defining report content
Determining what to include in this report begins with an understanding of our value chain impacts, which include our associations with our business partners, our work undertaken for clients and our thought leadership activities. The report addresses those items that are of significant interest to our stakeholders and to ERM's business strategy.
We begin our materiality assessment at the start of each fiscal year, in order for our business planning to include initiatives to respond to the key issues identified. We establish KPIs and targets to track the effectiveness of our management of these issues throughout the year. Our focus is on improving, year on year, the management of key sustainability issues for the business.
We undertook the following approach to determine the key issues for the business: