ERM Client Alert: New CDP Water Disclosure Information Request for 2012
20 March 2012
The Carbon Disclosure Project (CDP) is an independent not-for-profit organization working to drive greenhouse gas emissions reduction and sustainable water use by increasing the level and robustness of disclosure on key sustainability parameters.
Launched in 2009, the CDP Water Disclosure is an annual programme that seeks to gather data related to corporate water management strategies, water-risk awareness and water accounting approaches. The majority of data collected by the CDP is made available for use by a wide audience including institutional investors, corporations, policymakers, public sector organizations, academics and the public. Respondents to the information request can however request that the data provided to CDP remains private and confidential.
The CDP Water Disclosure provides companies with an opportunity to publically disclose their water management approach and demonstrate to key stakeholders their commitment to addressing this emerging sustainability issue. Companies can also use the initiative to review its progress towards more sustainable water use and compare performance against industry competitors and broader leaders in corporate water management.
The CDP recently published its CDP Water Disclosure Information Request for 2012. Interested companies are required to submit their 2012 CDP Water Disclosure response by 30 June 2012.
How can ERM help?
ERM can help you sort through the CDP Water Disclosure Information Request and in the process, formulate a clear understanding of your current position, material water risks and improvement opportunities. Building on this largely retrospective review, ERM can subsequently assist your organization with the appropriate strategic and programmatic changes required to improve its water management approach.
ERM can practically support you with:
- Water strategy development including the identification of water risks, opportunities and mitigation measures;
- Water footprinting of organisations, products, and services;
- Stakeholder engagement strategies and education;
- Water modelling and resource assessments;
- Assessing business impacts on water and the impacts that changing water resources may have on operational management;
- Innovative technological solutions including no- or low-cost options; and
- Water data management, verification and reporting.
Read more on CDP Water Disclosure Information Request for 2012 (147KB PDF)