Active leadership role towards a net-zero future
Photo credit: Ivan Chaparro, Colombia
We have set this ambitious net-zero target because the role of business is critical in achieving the Paris Agreement, and ERM wants to take a leadership position in this effort.
ERM has made a commitment to achieve net-zero emissions across our operations by 2025. This covers our offices, vehicle fleet, business and client-related travel and employee emissions from commuting (otherwise known as our Scope 1, 2 and 3 emissions). We believe this puts us in a leadership position because our commitment is:
- Near-term, and covers all areas of our operations;
- Built on our approved science-based targets, which we report on annually;
- Supported by a detailed plan; and
- Sets out an approach for how we will consider the impact from our work with clients.
For many years, we have actively contributed towards the transition to a low carbon economy through a range of global initiatives:
- ERM is a signatory to the Climate Pledge, a global commitment to take urgent action to meet the Paris Agreement by 2040;
- ERM is a signatory to the UN Global Compact-lead Business Ambition for 1.5 degrees Celsius, an advocacy campaign calling on businesses to do their part to limit global temperatures from rising;
- ERM is a member of the Race to Zero campaign as part the 26th UN Climate Conference (COP26). The campaign aims to rally leadership and support from businesses, cities, regions and investors for a healthy, resilient, zero-carbon recovery;
- ERM’s Group CEO is a Co-Chair of the Climate and Energy Program and Co-Vice Chair of the World Business Council for Sustainable Development (WBCSD) – ERM joined WBCSD when it formed 25 years ago; and
- ERM is a member of the Natural Climate Solutions Alliance, convened by the World Economic Forum and the WBCSD to scale up affordable natural climate mitigation solutions.
ERM has been a supporter of the Task Force on Climate-related Financial Disclosures (TCFD) since 2018. Apart from supporting numerous clients on TCFD strategy and implementation, the company has a roadmap for implementing the TCFD recommendations across our own business, with progress disclosed on an annual basis as part of this Sustainability Report. In line with this roadmap, ERM is evolving our enterprise risk management approach to respond proactively to changing climate-related risks and opportunities.
We work with the world’s leading organizations to build momentum and action towards a net-zero future. This includes:
- Leadership roles in leading business coalitions as well as professional and technical organizations;
- Secondment of employees to provide expertise, insights and connections to clients;
- Thought leadership from the SustainAbility Institute by ERM and our industry experts; and
- Through the employee-led ERM Foundation.