Energy & Climate Change
Understanding the real risks that climate change poses to a business and developing pragmatic programs to manage and mitigate those risks is one of the most complex issues businesses face today.
The world’s response to the challenges of climate change is creating a wide range of changes that businesses must understand and manage:
- Governments are implementing and proposing a wide range of new laws and regulations targeted at reducing greenhouse gases. However, these policies are not consistent across the world and timing is uncertain.
- Financial institutions, governments and shareholders are beginning to expect increasing levels of reporting and disclosure on climate risks, performance and plans.
- Stakeholders, including non-governmental organizations, employees and customers have increasing expectations for visible progress towards more sustainable business practices.
- Energy markets and energy technologies are rapidly changing across the world, presenting new low carbon options and economic opportunities.
- Global supply chains and operations are facing increased risk of business interruption and additional investment for extreme weather adaptation.
Developing and executing a plan that not only manages risk but also identifies the new business opportunities created by these changes requires a unique combination of strategy, business acumen and deep environmental expertise
Assessing risks, identifying opportunities
ERM works with companies around the world to comprehensively assess the impact of climate change on their business and then develop an integrated program that cost effectively mitigates the material risks, captures opportunities and tracks progress. Our deep experience in climate policy, carbon markets, economics and risk management provides our clients with the broad range of insights required to build these plans.
ERM has 20-years of experience assessing and delivering broad environmental services. Our energy and climate change capabilities include:
- Comprehensive GHG inventory and management, from advice on policy and regulatory change to strategy and project planning, permitting and implementation;
- A proven approach to lifecycle assessment, which helps clients manage environmental factors and emissions more effectively throughout the product value chain;
- Effective energy management using our custom methodology (Quick Environmental Savings Technique (QUEST), which is focused on driving operational excellence and generating rapid energy savings;
- Local knowledge of regulatory requirements combined with global experts and multidisciplinary teams;
- Information systems experience that helps companies make fact based decisions, track progress, measure risks and report performance as required; and
- Economic and financial insights to help develop risk based strategies for compliance and mitigation.
- Development of quantitative risk assessments and response plans designed to protect businesses across their supply chains from the physical risks of climate change.
Protecting and creating value
Climate change provides the challenge and opportunity for companies to not only protect shareholder value, but also create value. By proactively and pragmatically assessing climate change impact on a business, executives can make informed decisions about where and how to invest across their business.
Reducing energy consumption, future-proofing operations and major capital projects, adapting supply chains, changing product development priorities and proactively engaging stakeholders are among the choices executives are making today. ERM is uniquely qualified to help organizations make the right choices for their business.