ERM’s Knowledge Sharing Platform recognized as one of the world’s top 10 best intranets
16 March 2009
Environmental Resources Management (ERM), the world’s leading environmental consultancy firm was recognized in a recent survey by Nielsen Norman Group (NNG) as having one of the world’s top 10 best intranets.
ERM’s intranet – known as Minerva - is designed to provide ERM with a knowledge sharing and collaboration platform that connects its 3,500 colleagues working in 145 offices across 41 countries to give its clients the best expertise and knowledge they can offer.
Dr Bonnie Cheuk, Global Head of Knowledge and Information for ERM, said: “This award recognizes the incredible ways in which our consultants are able to connect with each other regardless of geographies and time zones so that they can meet clients’ needs to the highest possible standard. Minerva is only two years old, so it is incredible to think what we will be able to achieve over the years to come to continually improve the way in which ERM as a company keeps connected.”
“The intranets of today are taking on a much more strategic role within companies than they have ever done and no longer simply store documents that support functions such as HR. ERM has over 3,500 staff spread across 41 countries, which can present challenges in sharing client intelligence, innovations and expertise.
"Often this information is residing in experts’ heads and countless silos across the organization. However we added some simple tools and networking features such as online forum, wiki and blogs to facilitate a sharing culture with in ERM. Ultimately, this has enabled us to provide the best possible service to our clients, wherever in the world they might be."
The award report highlights a number of Minerva’s elements. For example the increasingly strategic role intranets are now taking is of particular note within ERM as it is the first winning team ever to report directly to a company’s Chairman rather than its Corporate Communications or IT team. The report states: “This executive involvement typically results from companies viewing the intranet as a collaboration tool and appreciating the increased business efficiency that a good intranet brings.”
As a Collaboration Tool, ERM’s use of Minerva to showcase urgent requests on its homepage was highlighted as a striking social feature. It allows consultants to post urgent requests for advice from their colleagues around the world which has virtually eliminated last minute broadcast emails in the company, thus improving the productivity of the many consultants who are no longer interrupted by requests that they might have no qualifications or experience to solve. Even more important, this community feature often helps ERM quickly construct better proposals for key clients on short deadlines.
The 10 winners are:
- Altran, a large engineering and innovation consultancy (France)
- Advanced Micro Devices (AMD), a developer of computer and graphics processors (USA)
- BASF SE, the world's leading chemical manufacturing company (Germany)
- COWI Group A/S, a consulting group focusing on engineering, environmental science, and economics (Denmark)
- Deloitte Touche Tohmatsu (DTT), a global professional services network providing audit, tax, consulting, and financial advisory services (a Global member organization)
- Environmental Resources Management (ERM), one of the world's leading providers of environmental consulting services (Global)
- HSBC Bank Brazil (Brazil)
- Kaupthing Bank (Iceland)
- LL Bean, a vendor of apparel and outdoor equipment (USA)
- McKesson Corporation, a large provider of pharmaceuticals, medical supplies, and health care information technologies (USA)