2015 AEMA Annual Meeting & Exhibit
1 - 4 December 2015
New Realities Facing the Mining Industry
It is clear that falling commodity prices have had a global impact on the extractives sector. In mining, many new deposits are currently uneconomical to develop, and some operating mines unprofitable. Investors are demanding increased capital discipline to improve the return on investment (ROI), while stakeholder expectations for benefits sharing continue to increase.
In an era where a ‘social license to operate’ is a pre-condition for project success, and depressed commodity prices challenge the economics of all but the richest deposits, new approaches are needed.
Current trends we are seeing
Oversupply and weakening demand continue to drive commodity prices lower, leading to:
- Continued reduction in new capital investment and Return on Capital Employed (ROCE) as the industry’s new mantra
- Market share competition and aggressive unit cost reduction by streamlining operations and increasing productivity
- Divestment of under-performing and non-core assets to improve returns and relieve cost of debt
Risk-based approach to health, safety, environmental, and community (HSEC) management has shifted the focus of scarce resources to:
- Confirm that material risks have been identified, assessed, and effectively managed to acceptable levels
- Provide a material contribution to financial return through obtaining and maintaining your social license to operate and supporting increased productivity
- Continuously improve safety performance and the fight against fatalities
- Reassessment of closure plans in order to reduce long-term liabilities by developing innovative closure strategies and optimizing mining methods.
ERM at the conference
Exhibiting at AEMA
Wednesday 2 December – Friday 4 December
ERM experts will be on hand at Booth 215 to provide an in-depth understanding of our services, whether you are looking to evaluate and establish new sites across the globe, or to improve the efficiency and safety of existing operations. In turn, our practitioners leave the AEMA Conference with a deeper understanding of the current mining climate; having substantiated new trends and shared our learnings from the past year.
Learn more about the conference
ERM in the Mining Sector
The Mining Sector is a key focus for ERM. For over 40 years, we have helped our clients evaluate and establish new sites across the globe while also improving the efficiency and safety of existing operations. Clients seek ERM out for our regulatory expertise and strategy to successfully complete Environmental Assessments and develop programs to save money on the bottom line while reducing overall risks to the operations. We help obtain and maintain permits and licenses to operate – e.g., water license, exploration permits, land use permits, and can assist in any environmental and social aspects related to mine finance or capital projects.
Learn more about ERM’s services to the Mining Industry