The company was founded in the UK in 1971 trading as ERL and in the US in 1977 as ERM. By 1987 ERL had operations in the UK, Hong Kong, Italy and Bahrain and gross revenues of US$5million. ERL merged with ERM in 1987. ERM’s 500 strong staff operated from 25 locations across the US with gross revenues of US$50million.
In 1994 the company acquired Mitchell McCotter expanding operations in to Australia. Two years later Panazardi in Puerto Rico joined the ERM family followed by the US based Dell Engineering consultancy in 1999. By 2000 ERM had also acquired Dynamo in Sweden and IRMS, a transport risk practice in UK and Hong Kong. For FY00 the company recorded gross revenues of US$279.8million.
Major changes occurred in 2001 when venture capitalists 3i supported the management buyout of ERM’s retiring partners. This saw the company develop from a number of individual partnerships to a more conventional group structure with a single global board and management team. Following the management buyout ERM acquired Ecobe in South Africa and the US environmental management information systems consultancy Enverdant to create ERM’s Information Solutions practice. We also opened our first office in Canada with quick expansion the following year which witnessed second offices opening both here and in South Africa.
At the end of 2005 Bridgepoint Capital replaced the 3i Group as ERM’s equity backer allowing ERM to continue as an independent professional partnership. In the same year we opened offices in Russia and the United Arab Emirates and in 2006 opened a new office in New Zealand. In 2008, we extended our operations with a new office in Panama, and continued to increase our staff numbers globally.
To continue to provide this leading-edge advice, make a real difference for our clients, and attract and retain the people who make the delivery of this advice possible, we reviewed and updated our strategy. Our new strategy is simple and has one clear goal: to be recognized by our clients and employees as the pre-eminent global sustainability consulting firm. We launched the new strategy in 2010 under the banner: One Planet. One Company. ERM. The title acknowledges both the need for society to manage the earth and its resources in a sustainable way and the importance of the consistently high-quality advice and global support that ERM provides to its clients.
- In 2010 we acquired the Houston based risk consultancy, IRC which brought leading edge process safety and quantitative risk assessment capabilities. They have successfully integrated into ERM and are now working effectively with the rest of our global risk team to deliver outstanding projects and outcomes to our oil and gas, mining, power and major industrial clients worldwide.
- In October 2011 we acquired OASIS Environmental, Inc. an environmental services company headquartered in Alaska, USA, with around 100 employees. This acquisition further strengthens ERM’s leading position in the resources sector and in Alaska and the Pacific Northwest.
- In September 2012 we acquired Rescan, a privately, Canadian-owned, environmental consulting firm offering a wide range of services to the resource development industry. This acquisition consolidates ERM’s leading position in the sustainability market, particularly in respect of the resources sector.
- In December 2012 ERM acquired the sustainability and health, safety and environmental assets of Zer01 Pty Ltd (Zer01), a private Australia-based information solutions consulting firm. The acquisition enhances ERM’s Sustainability Information Solutions practice in Australia and adds to the firm’s global knowledge base and experience in this area.
- In September 2014 ERM acquired Natural Resource Group (NRG), a Minneapolis-based environmental consultancy. This acquisition broadens ERM’s capabilities in the midstream Oil & Gas sector, and further strengthens its capability in the Power sector in North America.
- In November 2014 ERM acquired Safety Design A.S., a Norwegian risk management consultancy based in Kristiansand, Norway. This acquisition strengthens ERM's presence in Norway and positions us to better serve the needs of clients on complex challenges across the globe.
A new chapter for ERM
In July 2011 ERM completed a refinancing, which saw Charterhouse Capital Partners replace Bridgepoint Capital as our private equity partner. Charterhouse has acquired a stake in the region of 55 per cent with the remaining 45 per cent owned by some 490 Partners working for ERM around the world.